Zachary is a Partner in RHTLaw Asia and specialises in Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency. He has 23 years of post qualifying experience and is qualified to practice law in Singapore, Malaysia and Australia.
Zachary has diversified expertise gathered from both private practice as well as from being General Counsel in an Oil & Gas public listed company based in Malaysia. His areas of practice include corporate restructuring and insolvency, dispute resolution and corporate commercial matters where he regularly advises clients on cross-border transactions, joint ventures, corporate finance, investments, trust structures and other commercial agreements.
Throughout his legal career in the various legal jurisdictions of Singapore, Malaysia and Australia, he has represented clients ranging from individuals, partnerships, local companies and multi national public listed companies with offices located worldwide.
- Successfully negotiated a contract from an International Oil Major based in Japan for the Provision of Engineering, Procurement, Construction, Installation and Commissioning (EPCIC) and Leasing of a Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessel for deployment in an offshore marginal field with an estimated contractual value of up to USD$860 million (equivalent to approximately RM3.37billion).
- Successfully negotiated the establishment of a joint venture with an International Oil Major based in the United States of America for a combined cash consideration of USD$50 million (equivalent to approximately RM155 million).
- Assisted the Group’s CEO and CFO to successfully establish a Sukuk Murabahah Programme of RM170 million and other corporate fund-raising initiatives such as rights issue and private placements.
- Advised the senior management and the board of directors of several Malaysian public listed companies on the transfer of their listed status to new entities (“NewCo”) set up pursuant to their restructuring exercises, which included advice on the acquisition of shares by NewCo and joint-venture agreements, conducting legal due diligence reviews for the submission of corporate proposals to the regulatory authorities on new securities issues, pursuant to the various schemes of arrangement and reconstruction. Advised and represented several public listed companies to restructure its debts worth over RM1 billion.
- Assisted the Group’s CEO resolve high profile issues within the group and review all investment papers and legal papers of the group before tabling to the EXCO and Board of Directors.
- Certificate in Legal Practice, Malaysia, Second Class (Honours) (1995)
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Second Class (Honours), University of London (1994)
- Bar Council of Malaysia, Member
- Law Society of Singapore, Member
- Law Institute of Victoria, Member
- Obtained special mention in “The Legal 500”, a legal directory of international lawyers [2006-2008 edition].
- Member of the committee of Messrs Cheang & Ariff, responsible for the drafting of the firm’s legal manual for documenting the legal processes for ISO certification. Cheang & Ariff was the first legal firm in Malaysia to obtain ISO certification in 1998.
- Moderator for panel discussion on “When Trouble Strikes: Insolvency and Restructuring” at RHT ASEAN Summit 2019
Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
Advocate & Solicitor, Malaysia
Solicitor, Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia
Key Areas of Expertise:
Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency
Direct: +65 6381 6858
Fax: +65 6816 0857