Vernon has extensive experience in assisting clients with their debt recovery litigation and management, having honed his skills in the area since 2004. He has acted for a broad range of clients including local and foreign financial institutions, commercial landlords, securities trading firms, vehicle rental companies and a local co-operative. He has experience in recovery of unsecured and secured debts and payments due under debentures, bonds and other facilities.
Prior to that, he practiced general litigation and has had extensive experience advising clients and arguing cases before the Strata Titles Board, the State Courts, the High Court and assisting in matters before the Court of Appeal. He has also appeared before the Singapore International Commercial Court, a division of the Singapore High Court and part of the Supreme Court of Singapore designed to deal with transnational commercial disputes. His practice areas included contract claims, breach of fiduciary duty, the provisional liquidation and winding up of companies, trust and contentious family law matters.
The reported legal cases that Vernon has been involved in include:
- Strike Engineering Pte Ltd v Zenecon Pte Ltd and Another
 SGHC 184
- Ong Cher Keong v Goh Chin Soon Ricky
 2 SLR 94;  SGHC 21
Vernon also advises clients on employment law issues. The employment matters that he has done to date include:
- Advising a German MNC in Singapore on their draft employment handbook, and also on how to deal with a local trade union in respect of the pending expiry of the collective agreement;
- Advising a company on their obligations under the Industrial Relations Act (Cap.136) and the Employment Act (Cap. 91) upon their takeover of a company with an existing collective agreement with a local trade union;
- General advice to clients on key employment terms, garden leave and restraint of trade clauses;
- Drafting and reviewing employment agreements for rank and file staff, executives, and settlement agreements for departing senior executives;
- Guiding a local not-for-profit enterprise in their dealings with the Ministry of Manpower in respect of a complaint filed by a former employee under the provisions of the Retirement and Re-employment Act (Cap. 274A).
- Advising a leading multi-national educational institution on their employment documentation and protocols, and drafting and reviewing the entire documentation from the offer of employment through to the termination of the employment relationship.
LL.B (Hons) (Singapore);
Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing’s Partner of Litigation and Dispute Resolution acted for a leading international B2B online payment systems company in the drafting of the Employee Handbook for their new Singapore subsidiary
- Managing Partner Tan Chong Huat and Co-Head of Employment Practice Vernon Voon welcome the latest review of the Employment Act to extend basic employment protections to all professionals, managers and executives in their co-authored opinion piece published in The Business Times
- Co-Head of Employment Practice Vernon Voon shares with The Straits Times the possibility of the Government imposing a custodial sentence or unlimited fines in relation to the recent spate of worksite accidents
- Co-Head of Employment Practice Vernon Voon shares with Channel NewsAsia his views on the new Tripartite Standard on Employment of Term Contract Employees
- “Tower Transit’s willingness to try and find alternative jobs for the affected parties does not “detract from or waive its breach” of the employment agreement”, Employment and Labour Relations Partner Vernon Voon shares more with The Straits Times
- “Failure to pay compensation awarded by the Labour Court under the Work Injury Compensation Act is a criminal offence”, Employment Partner Vernon Voon shares more with The Straits Times
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Litigation & Dispute Resolution Partner and Co-Head of the Firm’s Employment Practice, Vernon Voon quoted in TODAY
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Partner Vernon Voon and Legal Manager Ian Li featured in World Golf article titled “Addressing legal issues at Business Management Institute Course”