TAN Chong Huat
Tan Chong Huat is the Senior Partner and one of the founding members of RHTLaw Asia LLP. Chong Huat is the Non-Executive Chairman of RHT Group of Companies which is involved in the sectors such as Fintech & Financial Services, Training, Learning & Development, Consulting & Advisory and Wealth & Asset Management. Chong Huat is also the chairman of China ASEAN Business Alliance (CABA), a regionally focused think tank and business network.
His experience and track record, set out below, as a leading finance and corporate lawyer, successful entrepreneur and investor, reputable corporate leader and public service champion, and dedicated law professor coupled with his strong practical and academic grounding throughout his career has made Chong Huat the trusted go-to expert for regulatory issues, complex financing (corporate finance and project finance) transactions, deals structuring, funding and matching, corporate governance and board matters, and reputational management matters for corporate leaders and major corporates in the region and internationally.
Chong Huat was involved in the drafting of the initial SIMEX and SGX rules, and is a regular contributor to roundtables and consultation papers initiated by the regulatory authorities and agencies in Singapore. He is currently the deputy chairman of the SGX disciplinary committee and a member of the SGX Appeals Committee. He was a member of the first corporate governance council set up by the Monetary Authority of Singapore. Chong Huat led the regulatory applications, formation and operational set up of numerous leading financial institutions including the Investment Company of the People’s Republic of Singapore, a subsidiary of the People’s Bank of China.
Chong Huat is a Fellow with the Singapore Institute of Director and Hong Kong Institute of Directors. He has been appointed on the boards as non-executive chairman, and independent director of listed companies in Singapore and Hong Kong. He also co-founded RHT group of companies which is the leading professional services group in Asia. Over the years he has successfully invested in start-ups, SMEs and listed companies. Notably, he is knowledgeable and passionate in blockchain, distributed ledger and related technologies, and cryptocurrencies having invested into 2 exchanges which apply the DLT technology.
Chong Huat is also active in public service and charity work. Chong Huat sits as a council member in the Singapore Road Safety Council. He is also a member of the International Affairs Committee of Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce & Industry. He also sits as a Lay Person on the Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants’ Investigation and Disciplinary Panel. The Financial Planning Association of Singapore has also conferred on Chong Huat an honorary membership. He is also chairman of the RHT Rajan Menon Foundation and a member of the executive board of the Singapore Golf Association. He has also established a National University of Singapore Grant in favour of the Law Faculty under the name of his deceased father. An award named RHT Tan Chong Huat Corporate Crime Award has also been established by the School of Law, Singapore Management University. Chong Huat was also invited to be a member of the Selection Panel of SIM University Law School.
Chong Huat taught at the Law Faculty, National University of Singapore (AY 2007- 2013), Business School, National University of Singapore (AY 2008/2009), Nanyang Business School, Nanyang Technological University (AY 2008-2012) and various other universities in Asia. Besides authoring two leading literature on PRC Investment laws, he has co-authored leading titles on Corporate Governance and Corporate Finance Law.
Chong Huat has extensive experience in corporate, banking and project finance law in Singapore and the region, and acted in numerous significant corporate transactions in the areas of IPOs, RTOs, MBOs, restructuring, M&As, and financing of major real estate and infrastructure.
Chong Huat has been helping business owners and family businesses throughout his successful career. He has advised Asian and European high net worth clients in their M&A, listing, divestment, business succession planning, probate, wealth and asset preservation and protection, and family governance. As a trusted go-to adviser, Chong Huat has been appointed as administrator and trustee for the estate of his high net worth clients, as well as counsel in estate disputes involving families of leading Asian conglomerates.
- LL.B (Hons) (Singapore);
- LL.M (London);
- Graduate Certificate in International Arbitration (NUS);
- Graduate Diploma in Management Research (University of South Australia);
- Certificate in Blockchain Strategy Programme (University of Oxford)
- Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore;
- Solicitor, England & Wales;
- Solicitor, Hong Kong;
- Solicitor, New South Wales, Australia;
- Commissioner for Oaths;
- Notary Public;
- FSIArb (Singapore);
- FCIArb (UK);
- Arbitrator (CIETAC)
LL.B (Hons) (Singapore); LL.M (London); Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore; Solicitor, England & Wales; Solicitor, Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia; Solicitor, Hong Kong SAR, Commissioner for Oaths; Notary Public; FSIArb (Singapore); FCIArb (UK); FSID; Arbitrator (CIETAC)
Key Areas of Expertise: Financial Services, Capital Markets, General Corporate, International & Domestic Arbitration, Regulatory Compliance & Corporate Governance
Direct: +65 6381 6787
Fax: +65 6816 0857
He has been named a leading practitioner in many reputable professional publications, with a recent recognition by IFLR1000 as a “Leading Lawyer” and by Legal 500 Asia Pacific as a “Leading Individual” for Corporate and Mergers & Acquisitions.
- Tan Chong Huat and Azman Jaafar jointly wrote an opinion piece published on The Business Times
- The recent reports about third-party agent contracts have raised ethical and legal concerns within the medical and healthcare fraternity. Managing Partner, Tan Chong Huat and Partner, Luo Ling Ling shared their views in their joint article published in The Business Times
- Managing Partner, Tan Chong Huat, discusses lifelong learning in The Business Times’ weekly column, Views from the Top
- Managing Partner, Tan Chong Huat, shares the fundamental change in demand for healthcare and social services in an ageing population with The Business Times’ weekly column in Views from the Top
- Managing Partner, Tan Chong Huat, shares the key driver to regional integration with The Business Times’ weekly column in Views from the Top
- Managing Partner, Tan Chong Huat, featured in The Business Times’ Views from the Top
- Managing Partner, Tan Chong Huat spoke at the Annual SME Conference and Infocomm Commerce Conference on The Disruption Affecting Services and How They Shape the Future of This Industry
- Official Launch of RHT Rajan Menon Foundation’s Eldercare Guidebook by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong
- Managing Partner, Tan Chong Huat, featured in The Business Times’ weekly column, Views from the Top
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Managing Partner, Tan Chong Huat, featured in BT’s Views from the Top column
- In this week’s BT Views from the Top column, Managing Partner, Tan Chong Huat, shared more about the Foundation’s vision, causes and a new initiative on sustainability, called Greening ASEAN: Initiatives & Leadership
- Managing Partner, Tan Chong Huat, highlights the major driver in intensifying efforts and explains why cash usage should remain an option in Business Times’ Views From The Top
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Managing Partner, Mr Tan Chong Huat, shares his views on the historic June 12 summit between Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un on Business Times’ weekly column ‘Views From The Top’
- In this week’s Business Times’ Views from the Top column, RHT Law Taylor Wessing Managing Partner Tan Chong Huat highlighted the Firm’s shared optimism with its Korean Asean Plus Group partner DR & AJU on the prospects of greater development and business activity on the Korean peninsula. This follows recent progress in reconciliation between North and South Korea.
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing’s Managing Partner, Tan Chong Huat and RHTLaw Taylor Wessing’s Private Wealth Practice’s Partner and Deputy Head, Benjamin Szeto, discuss practical steps that may be taken to avoid or mitigate the impact of family feuds and spats arising in high-net-worth families, including distributing assets, using trusts and passing the baton before one passes on
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Managing Partner Tan Chong Huat shares with The Business Times how RHTLaw Taylor Wessing ensures it gets its share of top talent
- “The US decision on the Broadcom-Qualcomm deal should act as a wake-up call that business is about openness and trust,” shares Managing Partner Tan Chong Huat with The Business Times
- Managing Partner Tan Chong Huat and Co-Head of Employment Practice Vernon Voon welcome the latest review of the Employment Act to extend basic employment protections to all professionals, managers and executives in their co-authored opinion piece published in The Business Times
- “Like computer viruses, fake news is mischievous handiwork of little or no socioeconomic benefit”, shared Managing Partner Tan Chong Huat with The Business Times
- Find out why the Corporate Governance Council’s move to enhance the independence of directors is timely, in the opinion piece written by Managing Partner Tan Chong Huat and Head of Capital Markets Ch’ng Li-Ling in The Business Times
- “SGX’s proposed simplification of quarterly reports may not reduce compliance costs significantly, but would free up management’s time for more critical tasks such as company strategy,” shares Managing Partner Tan Chong Huat with The Business Times
- Managing Partner Tan Chong Huat was quoted by The Straits Times on the Prevention of Corruption Act, in light of Singapore’s biggest corruption scandal involving Keppel Offshore & Marine
- Managing Partner Tan Chong Huat and RHT Forensics & Disputes Advisory Consultant Billy Huang co-authored opinion piece titled “Safeguarding your company against corporate corruption overseas” in the Business Times