Sharon’s legal practice encompasses a diverse range of dispute resolution areas, with a dedicated focus on commercial contractual disputes since she was called to the Singapore Bar in 2010.
Sharon acts for a wide spectrum of clients ranging from private high net worth individuals to public listed companies and multi-national companies. She has represented clients before all levels of the Singapore courts and in international arbitrations.
Apart from disputes resolution, Sharon is also a trusted advisor for non-contentious matters in relation to compliance with governmental and regulatory bodies, tenancy, trusts, trademarks, data protection, employment and shareholders and partnership arrangements. With a litigation perspective, she is able to provide clients with practical insight and advice.
Outside the court room, Sharon is passionate about women empowerment and leadership. She is also a strong advocate for local businesses and entrepreneurship.
Some of the matters that Sharon was involved in include:
- Successfully defending a claim in the High Court and Court of Appeal for breach of fiduciary duties, conspiracy, breach of contract and passing off;
- Representing a Chinese listed company in the Singapore High Court in proceedings against the Judicial Managers under Section 227R of the Companies Act;
- Represented a Hong Kong company in a dispute involving HK$31.5 million in the Singapore International Commercial Courts which was eventually brought to the Court of Appeal with a successful outcome for the client;
- Represented a homegrown luxury lifestyle brand on negotiating a share buyout arrangement;
- Represented a Chinese investment company in a shareholders’ dispute involving a claim of S$10 million;
- Representing a public listed Singapore company against a Chinese shareholder in a claim for approximately S$7.5 million arising from a share subscription agreement;
- Represented several public listed Singapore companies in restructuring exercises including schemes of arrangement under section 210(10) and section 211B of the Companies Act;
- Advised one of Indonesia’s largest coal producers on its contractual rights in a claim of US$20 million;
- Represented a leading Singapore social media influencer in a dispute over the talent management contract and a defamation claim;
- Represented a Singapore food and beverage company with worldwide presence in various trademark opposition and invalidation proceedings;
- Advising an international Swiss bank in respect of a trust involving assets of approximately US$58 million and drafting the trust instrument as well as the necessary liability waiver agreements and non-disclosure agreements;
- Acting as co-counsel representing a leading magazine for a trademark infringement and passing off claim before the Court of Appeal;
- Part of a pioneer team involved in advising and implementing compliance systems for various companies including a listed property developer and a listed global water solutions company to ensure compliance with Singapore’s Personal Data Protection Act;
- Acting as lead counsel in successfully obtaining a summary judgment for enforcement of a Japanese judgment for the sum of approximately S$25 million and subsequent enforcement proceedings to recover the judgment sum;
- Represented an esteemed Italian furniture supplier on conflict of laws issues and successfully obtaining a stay of proceedings in Singapore on the grounds of forum non conveniens
- Speaker, Demystifying Blockchain Technology – A Conversation on Leveraging the Practical Benefits & Exploring Its Legal Pitfalls, RHTLaw Asia (2021)
- Speaker, Wonder Woman Zoom Forum, Bynd Artisan (2020)
Sharon was admitted as Advocate and Solicitor in Singapore (2010).
Sharon attained her Bachelor of Laws (2nd Upper Class Honours) from the National University of Singapore in 2009.
We first worked with Sharon Chong to register our trademark in many key countries around the world. We continued to consult her and engage her firm’s services when she moved to RHTLaw Taylor Wessing and was made Partner. Over the years, she has proven to be a trusted and reliable advisor on a wide range of business legal matters ranging from intellectual property to S&P agreements, dispute and labour contracts. What I appreciate most about Sharon is her sharp mind and ability to respond swiftly – with clarity in communicating the complex legal system.
— Winnie Chan, CEO, Bynd Artisan
- “Singapore’s Most Influential Lawyers Aged 40 and Under for 2019” by the Singapore Business Review