Professor Leslie Chew, SC
Professor Leslie Chew, SC is a Senior Consultant at RHTLaw Asia. He has 42 years of legal experience, seven years of which was in the judiciary as a Senior District Judge and was appointed Senior Counsel by the Supreme Court – Singapore’s equivalent of the Queen’s Counsel in England – in 2000.
Professor Chew practices primarily at the Commercial Bar. From time to time he has represented clients in commercial crime or white collar cases. He has acted as counsel for major banks in Singapore and a number of private banks. He has also acted in medical cases on behalf of the restructured hospitals and private hospitals.
He is an accomplished commercial arbitrator and has practised as an arbitrator and arbitration counsel since 1993. He has sat as presiding arbitrator and co-arbitrator in SIAC, ICC and UNCITRAL arbitrations in various jurisdictions including India, Nepal and South Korea. He was a former president of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators and is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
He is active in the area of Insolvency where he was counsel for both financial institutions and liquidators. He has also actively advised HNWI in estate planning and family business disputes.
In 2007 he was appointed a District Judge and subsequently held office as a Senior District Judge heading the Civil Justice Division of the State Courts (then the Subordinate Courts) where he led 23 Judges and took charge of the civil cases. He was also a key member of the Senior Management of the Subordinate Courts (now known as the State Courts) where the organization was awarded the prestigious Singapore Quality Award (Special Commendation), the highest Business Excellence award in Singapore.
In 2002, he was awarded the Public Service Medal by the President of the Republic of Singapore for his contributions to the Military Court of Appeal.
Significant Speaking / Lecturing Engagements
Professor Chew is the founding and current Dean of Singapore’s third law school, the School of Law at the Singapore University of Social Sciences (formerly known as SIM University) and has regularly taught professional arbitration courses organised by the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators and the NUS Faculty of Law (the Graduate Certificate in International Arbitration). He has also been a visiting professor at the Ateneo de Manila Law School, Philippines where he taught international arbitration.
- Wong, Lok & Coomaraswamy, Gen Ed, Modern Advocacy, Perspectives from Singapore, Academy Publishing (2008)
- Leslie Chew, Introduction to the Law and Practice of Arbitration in Singapore, Lexis Nexis (2010)
- Daniel Koh, Gen Ed, Law and Practice of Injunctions, Interim Measures and Search Orders in Singapore, June 2017, Sweet & Maxwell
- Leong Thin Yin, Ed, Commemorative Book, Sep 2017, Singapore University of Social Sciences (Training future lawyers: The Multi-disciplinary and Applied Skills Approach)
- Contributor, Singapore Civil Procedure, Sweet & Maxwell, 2020
Professor Leslie Chew, SC graduated from the law school of the University of Singapore (the predecessor of the present National University of Singapore) and was admitted as an Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore in 1981. He is also admitted as a Solicitor of England & Wales.
- Director, MY World Preschool Ltd
- Independent Director, Singapore Women’s & Children Medical Group
- Board Member, Singapore Institute of Legal Education
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Fellow, Singapore Academy of Law